30 September, 2012

I AM

The simplicity of ‘I AM’ suggests a universality of thought. It is open to self revelation, self redemption and a myriad of rich images of self that can be built upon.

As you move into new territories - perhaps you want to re-study, perhaps deep down you know you are not following your passion - it takes courage.


I read and admire Paulo Coelho. In all his books the message is to follow your dreams, find your passion and follow it. I love his books, and I love his message. But I have (and maybe still do) struggle with it. Because of this question: What is my passion?? I can narrow it down to the areas I love: drama, working with children, assisting special needs children, but I can't find a neat label, that fits a neat job. However one way which has helped me decide (and keep deciding) what paths I want to take is to use this phrase; "I AM a _____" and fill in the gaps. 



A few months back when I was looking into starting my own drama classes (something I have put off due to poor health - a nice convenient excuse!) I was filled with deep self doubt. (It is still there and I fight it daily.) So I thought it was time to stop waiting for it to happen and state that it had happened. I began to say to myself 'I AM a drama teacher'. I may not be working at this moment in time, but I am one. From there, as is always the way when you 'put it out there', changes and shifts begin. I now take a weekly class, and I hope to grow it in whatever way I can. And when I am taking that class I am buzzing. 



I AM a ____ is also a great test to see if you really are in the right career path. Say it to yourself, how does it make you feel? I think you will feel a couple of responses, You'll either know that your current job is not you. The I AM a ____ will sit flat within you, it won't resonate throughout you, OR it could scare the living daylights out of you. I tried this one: I AM an actress (a passion more than a wish to be famous or on the telly). I actually felt nauseous saying this. Literally the pit of my stomach churned as I said this to myself. My inner 'keep me small and safe voice' said, 'How dare you! You are not brave enough for that. That is a laughable desire, people don't take performers seriously. Grow up.' Like I said. It takes courage. I read this the other day, 'The thing we fear the most is usually the thing we are here to do.' (Author unknown.) 




***When I say to myself I AM an actress, I am just looking for, and embracing the opportunities to act/perform, in whatever ways they come into my life...and hopefully not in the same way as Mr G from Summer Heights High! (Watch it it is hilarious!))


Try it. Say to yourself I AM a_____ and feel the response.


                                                       ..~***~..

I wrote up this blog post then went off to my Naturopath appointment where the magazine I picked up had a whole article on just this topic...co-incidence? I think not. It was called 'Follow your Bliss' (read it here) and it talked about finding out what your dharma or life purpose is. It explained that your dharma does not actually have to be your job or career. It could be hobby or interest such as gardening. It will be the thing that feels right. The article states; 'When you are engaged in the activity that is your passion, it's said that you may experience the sensation of time standing still, of being in the zone.' 

Then again when creating the link to Paulo's blog I found he had this practical post on how to put your dreams into practice: Dreams the 12 Steps





No comments:

Post a Comment