18 February, 2012

Why sugar makes us Fat/Unwell

I recently found this blog - inspirational from my point of view.

I have been trying to go down the 'no sugar' path for a few months now. I started this journey because I believed I had a Candida problem and treatment required a very restrictive diet. No carbs, no yeast, no sugar (including fruits). It was hard going, and the diet I was on(the Body Ecology Diet) recommended you stay on it for 3 months. I got to 3 weeks then it was my birthday. I had cake. I felt extremely ill the next day (it's like being hungover - but without the fun night out before). Then another 2 1/2 weeks on the diet, then it was Christmas... and... all over red rover! BUT the time I was on the diet I learnt two things. 1. Sugar and refined carbs mess with my moods something cronic. As Sarah Wilson says 'I became a much nicer person'. It's true! My blood sugar is more stable and therefore so are my moods (this includes my PMS moods). And 2. I am gluten intolerant. Which was probably the main cause of my troubles. BUT I am still learning not to binge on the sugar. It truly is an addiction. In fact I have read (and this is a GREAT read too) that some lab rats have chosen it over heroin!!



Anyway on with Sarah's awesome write up on that baddie sugar.


i quit sugar #3 (why sugar makes us fat)

OK. So this is where it gets interesting and a little bit tricky. As in, good tricky.
Today I’m going to cover off two key issues. Yesterday I said I’m eating more (good) fat and protein as a way of getting me through this quit sugar business. This is in part cos fat and protein satiate. They fill me up. So I don’t crave sugar. Or anything else for that matter. Oooh, but they’re fattening, you say!? Actually, no. Sugar is. Let me explain. Keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment