03 February, 2012

The Contraceptive Pill

Is it safe?
Well I used it for 5+ years. During that time I developed terrible PMS/PMDD. Half of the month I found it difficult to get along with or even like my partner. In fact the pill can effect the way you feel about your partner. When I met my hubby of course I really liked him, then, I started taking the pill. In the years to follow I struggled with my feelings towards him half the time. It was terrible.
Here's an article on this topic. 
I finally decided the pill was messing with my hormones and I decided to stop taking it. 
At first, it was hard to know if I felt a heap better or not, because I had other underlying health issues going on. However I really noticed something when I re-took it prior to getting married. (I took it to avoid having severe PMS right on my wedding day. It was going to be stressful enough thanks!) During that month and a half back on the pill I really noticed how my moods swung back and forth, and how scatty -brained I felt. It was horrible, it was exhausting, and it wasn't me. Thank goodness. I had this image of myself as an utter cow.


I think if you do suffer from bad PMS adding more hormones to the mix can be a bit lethal in my opinion. It could even be the main cause of your PMS...something to consider anyways. (Having said that I do know some women manage to balance out their hormones and limit PMS by taking the right pill. But that's the thing - no one tests your hormone levels prior to giving you more...you could well be tipping the balance way out very easily, very quickly.) Here's an interesting read up from Mark's Daily Apple:What you need to know about the Contraceptive Pill

No comments:

Post a Comment